4 steps to configure Easykon Lite for KNX on Raspberry Pi
Easykon Lite for KNX is a software for Raspberry Pi that, without any work on the electrical panel or on the system, allows to control with Google and Amazon Alexa Apps and voice assistants and with IFTTT platform, every home automation plant relised with standard KNX devices.
You just need 4 steps to control your KNX plant with Google, Amazon Alexa and IFTTT:
- Software downloads
- Installation on Raspberry Pi
- Activation and configuration
- Pairing with Google, Amazon Alexa and IFTTT
Step 1. Software download
You can download Easykon Lite for KNX software directly from Freedompro website. The download is free of charge and you will be able to use our product on your MyHome system for 7 days without any other cost.
To download the software needed for the installation:
- Go to the product page
- Click on “Download” and fill the form
- You will be redirected to a page with the download link, select the version that best suits your installation
In the page you will find 3 download links, one for each Raspberry Pi model supported from Easykon Lite for KNX. Choose the one created for the hardware you want to use. To check the model of the Raspberry Pi you are using, look at the device, you will find a white inscription on the green electrical board.
To continue with Easykon Lite for KNX installation on Raspberry Pi you need a software to write the product file in a micro SD card.
Great, now you have all you need to proceed to the Raspberry Pi installation.
Step 2. Installation on Raspberry Pi
- Easykon Lite for KNX software in the correct version for the Raspberry Pi model you want to use
- Writing SD card software
- Supported Raspberry Pi
- Power supply compatible with the Raspberry Pi model you want to use
- Micro SD card with at least 4 GB storage
- Computer with reader to write the micro SD card (if the computer does not have it, it is necessary also an external reader and/or an adapter)
- Ethernet cable with RJ-45 connector to connect to the local network (LAN)
To install Easykon Lite for KNX on Raspberry Pi:
- Connect the micro SD reader to the PC (if it is necessary use the adapter) and insert the card you want to use
- Open the software to write the micro SD
- Select "Operating System", among the option that appear click on “Use custom” and then search in your computer Easykon Lite for MyHome software that you downloaded (.zip file)
- Click on "SD Card", select the micro SD card that you put in the computer and press on "Write"
- Select "Yes" to start the writing
- At the end of this operation, put the micro SD card in the Raspberry Pi
- Connect the power supply to the micro USB connector and the RJ-45 cable to your Raspberry Pi
Check that the cabling is correct, if the Raspberry Pi has been powered correctly you will see the LED on the device turn on and you will be ready to configure your KNX system.
Step 3. Activation and configuration
To work, Easykon Lite for KNX needs to be activated first, this operation is done through Freedompro Cloud, a service that we offer to our customers free of charge.
- Computer connected to internet
- Compatible internet browser
- Google or Facebook account
To activate your Easykon Lite for KNX:
- Access to the configuration interface writing "http://easykon-lite.local" in the address bar of your browser
- Click on “Sign in”
- Check to be connected to the internet and select “Activate”
- In Freedompro Cloud page, login with your Freedompro profile. If you don’t have one, don’t worry, clicking on “Continue with Google” or “Continue with Facebook” you will create it automatically
- Insert your Google or Facebook credentials
- Select “Back to configuration panel” and “Continue with the free version”
Congratulations! You correctly activate your Easykon Lite for KNX. You have 7 days to test all the functionalities of our software on your MyHome system free of charge, then you can just buy a licence to use it forever.
KNX plant configuration
To access to the configuration panel and proceed to mapping the accessories installed on the system, Easykon Lite for KNX needs to be connected to a KNX gateway or a KNX router.
Easykon Lite for KNX must be activated, before connecting the KNX gateway or KNX router.
To connect the KNX gateway/router and access to the configuration panel:
- Access to Easykon Lite for KNX writing "http://easykon-lite.local" in the address bar of your browser
- Click on “Sign in"
- Select “Continue with the free version”
- Select the KNX gateway/router you want to connect
- Check that the gateway information are correct and click on “Connect” on the top right
Once connected Easykon Lite for KNX to the KNX router/gateway of your system, you will see the configuration panel and you will be able to start mapping your plant accessories.
From the configuration panel it is possible to choose which of your KNX system accessories to connect to the Google, Amazon Alexa e IFTTT worlds.
For every accessory you have to write a name, select the category among the ones compatible with Easykon Lite for KNX and complete the parameters with the Status and command group addresses required.
To add an accessory:
- Click on the "+" at the top left
- Select the correct accessory category for the accessory to be mapped
- Enter the name you want to assign to the object. This will be the name used by Google and Amazon Alexa, it will be possible to change it directly from the applications
- Complete the parameters with the group addresses
- Click on save to map the accessory
Repeat this step for every accessory you want to make compatible with Google, Amazon Alexa and IFTTT.
See the article Compatible accessories to see the details of the parameters for each accessory.
Even faster mapping! You can import the file .knxproj or .xml generated in ETS, view the structure of your KNX project and drag the group address directly in the web interface for even faster configuration.
Well, now that you have mapped the accessories that interest you, control them with the platform of your choice Google, Amazon Alexa and IFTTT.
Step 4. Pairing with Google, Amazon Alexa and IFTTT
Easykon Lite for KNX is certified by Google and Amazon Alexa and Freedompro service is among the ones published on IFTTT official site. This means that you are free to choose the platform you prefer or, why not, use more than one at the same time.
Pairing with Google
Easykon Lite for KNX and Google help you in every moment of the day. Open the window coverings with a voice command, manage lights and thermostats with one tap or create the routines that support your daily activities in a few clicks.
Pair Easykon with Google to start using these features right away.
Follow these steps to control your KNX system with Google:
- Open the Google Home App available for Android and iOS
- Press the "+" button and select "Configure device"
- Select "Have you already configured something?"
- Search for "Freedompro" among the services listed
- Use your Freedompro profile, logging in with Google or Facebook, to carry out the pairing with Google Cloud
Pairing with Amazon Alexa
Easykon and Alexa multiply the possibilities of your KNX system. Add voice applications (called skills) and you will activate new features and content that enhance your home experience. Thanks to Easykon and Alexa, your KNX plant is more powerful than ever.
Pair Alexa with Easykon to take advantage of all these new possibilities.
Follow these steps to control KNX with Amazon Alexa:
- Open the Amazon Alexa application available for Android and iOS
- Click on the icon "Devices" in the menu at the bottom and select "Skill for the smart home"
- Select "Enable smart home skill"
- Search for "Freedompro" among the services listed and click on "Enable use"
- Use your Freedompro profile, by logging in with Google or Facebook, to pair with the Amazon Alexa Cloud
Pairing with IFTTT
IFTTT is a free service that enables you to create automation applications using more than 500 different services. Its name derives from the acronym of “If This Then That” i.e. “If this happens, then perform that action”.
Users can create their own custom automation applications, called Applets, or use one or more already present on the platform. To create one from scratch, you must choose an initial trigger, i.e. the event that will activate the automation sequence and the action that must occur for the automation to proceed.
By pairing Easykon with IFTTT, you can choose certain accessory categories mapped on the bridge, both as triggers and actions.
For details, please see the page Compatible accessories.
- Account on IFTTT website
Follow these steps to pair IFTTT with the Freedompro service:
- Go to the IFTTT website
- Login with your IFTTT account
- Click on "Explore" and search and select "Freedompro"
- Press on "Connect"
- Login with your Freedompro Cloud account
- Click on "Allow" to immediately start to create your automations
Once you have paired the Freedompro service, you will be able to choose among the accessories mapped inside your Easykon for KNX as triggers and actions and create any automation you want.